What is Employee Scheduling software?
Creating schedules for employees can be time consuming, and getting it wrong can lead to reducing a company’s productivity. Employee scheduling software can create those schedules as well as tracking and managing them by sending reminders, scheduling customers, managing calendars and other functionalities.
There are different trends you need to understand when evaluating what Employee Scheduling software to use:
Software vendors offer employee scheduling solutions which are industry-specific. Different businesses will have different needs when it comes to scheduling; and it is important to choose a software package that is customized to your specific business needs.
There are a lot of different employee scheduling solutions available, and the way most businesses assess which solution is best for them is by checking the vendor’s references, as well ass getting an attorney to review the agreements. This will help to determine the financial liability of the vendors,
Most employee scheduling systems are sold on a Software as a Service basis. This method allows new employees and employers to access information straight from the cloud. It also keeps new employees from having access to in-house systems; increasing the security of the process. The pricing either takes place on a monthly or a yearly basis.
Here are the common features involved in Employee Scheduling software:
Creating and changing schedules
The system manages schedules, allowing managers and employees to create, see and adjust schedules easily. Some software will helps to automatically populate the relevant fields.
Tracking employees & Time clock
Helps employees to clock in and out of work using their computer, tablets or even smart phones. Systems will track employee activity based on logins and other factors, allowing management to ensure that schedules are being respected.
Schedules can be passed and distributed across the whole employee network; ensuring the right schedules reach the right employees in the right department.
Creation of reports
This creates reports so that management can see if staff is holding up to the schedule. Employee working hours as well as staff clocking and absence helps to give managers a better idea of employee workload. Those reports can also help employees assess their work and help keep them on schedule.
Why Use Employee Scheduling software
There are many benefits to purchasing and using Employee Scheduling software:
- Schedules can be easily created, accessed and modified. Contact between management and employees about scheduling needs is better, leading to an overall increase in efficiency and accuracy of scheduling.
- Communication between employees and management is made clearer, resulting in less confusion and less miscommunications about staff scheduling. A good communication between management and employees can contribute greatly to the success of a business.
- Managers have better supervision over schedule budgeting and overtime.Some good insight about expenses, both current and future, can help to keep labor costs down.
- Being able to track employee hours allows for a business to keep in compliance with working hours limitations imposed by labor and union laws. This avoids staff working too many hours, especially for employees with different entitlements such as people receiving disability benefits and minors.
Your use of Employee Scheduling software will vary depending on your needs and the needs of your business:
- Small businesses might not require a full scheduling suite, especially if they have a limited amount of employees. Modules such as online schedule distribution and time clock functionality should however prove beneficial to ensure employees understand the schedule and work the hours they are supposed too.
- Mid-sized businesses might want to look at more complex tools, and features such as schedule creation and modification will allow managers to save time and create appropriate schedules for their employee base. Tracking those employees will also ensure that the workforce is sticking to schedule.
- Large businesses will want a comprehensive scheduling solution which will integrate with all their other software. A good line of communication between the management and its multiple staff is the only way to ensure that schedules are swiftly met. Also, compliance will also be a very important aspect, as it is easy for some numbers to slip through the cracks when dealing with a large workforce.
- Different businesses will prioritise on different aspects of scheduling. For example, a healthcare organisation will want software to deal with the complex nature of shift work; managing absences and last minute notifications. A retail organization on the other hand will want a system which can organize schedules across different store locations.