What is Time and Attendance software?
Recording and keeping track with employee work hours can be a time consuming task, and that is what Time and Attendance Software is here to help with. He idea is for the system to manage the schedules of a company’s employees by tracking their attended hours. Furthermore it will also help to keep records on overtime, holidays, sick leave and other absences.
There are different trends you need to understand when evaluating what Time and Attendance Software to use:
Software specialism is on the rise
One of the most expanding sector is the services industry, and this particular type of industry has high demands when it comes to tracking employee productivity, due to the nature of the business. There is therefore a high demand for service-based Time and Attendance Software.
A change in working hours
Working hours have changed and there is a demand for software to manage and track flexible working hours. This is because more companies are offering flexible hours as a way to manage their employees, and it is therefore crucial that time and attendance software should be able to track employee attendance in those conditions.
Software deployment models
Web-based software is seeing a huge level of adoption by companies and organizations across the world. In fact the best time and Attendance software available uses this method of delivery. In-house hosting is a less popular method of deployment for this specific type of software.
Here are the common features involved in Time and Attendance Software:
Integration with payroll
Time and Attendance software should be able to integrate with other payroll systems. Alternatively, some Time and Attendance software will offer payroll functionalities.
By using past data, the system should be able to determine the future cost of jobs by determining how many working hours and how much staff should be assigned to said project.
Clocking in functionality
This is essential to any time and attendance software. It enables workers to clock in and out of work so that their working hours are recorded and their attendance checked. Time and attendance systems will be compatible with card systems or will simply record staff attendance based on their computer logins.
Compliance and regulations
The system will make sure that employees are taking their mandatory breaks as dictated by the laws of health and safety. Data will be kept for future use.
This particular module will deal with authorised absences such as paid-time-off, holidays and sick days by keeping track of the usage of those authorised absences.
Some systems will offer a good level of mobile integration, with either browser compatible of native web-app support. This will help employees who spend a lot of time at different sites as they are able to clock-in remotely by using their mobile phones or tablets.
Why Use Time and Attendance software
There are many benefits to purchasing and using Time and Attendance software:
- A lot of time can get taken out of a human resources department over manual time and attendance tasks. By reducing the time and labour required to do such tasks, time and attendance software allows HR departments to focus bettering some of their other workloads.
- Errors can often be made, especially when tracking attendance manually. A good software system will help to reduce the amount of human errors, leading to less conflict and issues about paid or unpaid hours.
- Better planning and scheduling of payments helps payroll in a great way, it also helps with more to create reports faster and more accurately.
- Compliance with work, labor, and other laws insures a company always stays in the good books, and it naturally benefits its employees too.
Your use of Time and Attendance software will vary depending on your needs and the needs of your business:
- Small businesses and self employed people will benefit hugely from having at least a basic time clock system put into place. It will help tracking a small amount of employees, but it can also allow self-employed people working in solo to account for their own working hours. Some vendors offer free employee time clock software, sometimes even offering job costing functions.
- Mid-sized and growing businesses might not have the need for a full HRMS suite, but they will still be looking at obtaining Time and Attendance tools that can integrate with some of their more basic payroll and job costing applications. Here, a best-of-breed system based around payroll and staff attendance might be the ideal way to track and report on employee attendance.
- Larger businesses will have a Human Resource departments. They will want Time and Attendance software to be part of their other existing Human Resource Management Systems. That way it can be linked with payroll and other relevant HR systems. A more integrated approach is the better one in this case.