What is Human Resources software?
Human resources (HR) software can help to manage a larger workforce more efficiently. The automation of processes such as benefits administration, personnel tracking and payroll can lead to greatly increased productivity. Furthermore, HR software can help manage, develop and recruit its human assets. Businesses with a growing workforce will also benefit from such systems.
There are a market trends you need to understand when evaluating what software to use and which firms to hire:
Software as a Service is getting more popular
SaaS, also known as web-based solutions are now an important part of the business world. Those online applications can be easily accessed by Human Resources staff and other employes via most electronic devices which support an internet connection. Customisation options for this sort of service are often limited so they might not always support a company’s unique needs.
Bringing cloud based HR software together
HR software vendors have recently been consolidating as many applications possible under the same suite. This allows HR departments to track their employee’s full life-cycle as part of their organization. Many best-of-breed providers are being bought by larger vendors who are looking to extend the reach of their software solutions. Buyers of such solutions will mostly benefit from those larger corporations as they have larger resources. It is important that software buyers lock the rates and service maintenance terms as part of their contracts; to allow for more flexibility down the line.
The consumerization of HR Software
Mobile apps can now manage HR on the go, and social media is now being used as a recruiting tool. The change and evolution of those consumer technologies allows vendors to increase their system’s collaborative capabilities by developing better user interfaces. Third party reviews are now one of the best way to determine how good a vendor is and how well their software solutions work.
Types of human resource software
Human resource software should cover all the necessary aspects of an HR department. Here are the main applications:
Administration of benefits
This allows to manage the benefits of employees; including medical, dental and life insurance as well as participation towards 401k. This also include paid time off.
Putting all employee data together; from contract information to past employment.
Human resources payroll
Tracking employee salaries, including 401 k contributions along with health and other salary deductions .
Employee time and attendance
Tracking employees work attendance, as well as any absences. This system will allow staff to clock in and out of work. Most solutions will also track sick days; providing alerts should employees miss work.
Scheduling of employees
Helps to schedule different employees across different departments, projects and locations; providing alerts when employee levels are not enough.
Applicant tracking systems
Lets recruiters store applicant information into the one centralized database. Monitoring applicant status as well as tracking the candidates are all integrated with other HR applications.
Performance review software
Helps supervisors to track reviews with employees by tracking performance and managing goals.
Learning and development software
Establishes a database which helps to monitor new employees with their training and skills development.
Why Use human resource software?
The benefit of using human resource software solutions is vast and goes a long way into helping to make a human resource department better and more efficient:
- Time is saved on administration, allowing HR staff to prioritise on the most important tasks when managing staff.
- Better knowledge of employees, allowing for better management of human resources.
- Less payroll errors, staff gets the right amounts paid on time. This increases staff happiness, which in turns increases their performance.
- Better learning, employees continue to grow and develop to their fullest potential.
- Streamlining of strategic processes, ensures a company is using its staff as efficiently as possible.
Your use of software will of course depend on your needs and the needs of your business:
- Small to mid-size businesses looking to streamline their HR administrative tasks should look into getting an integrated HR suite. That way the most basic HR functions will be automated within the once easy-to-use system.
- Enterprises looking to scale their workforce quickly will want to boost their efficiency when hiring and recruiting new candidates. This can be done by using a best-of-breed applicant tracking solution; which can post jobs automatically to various outlets; including job boards and social media. This will help to build a strong database of candidates.
- A company in charge of staff working across multiple shifts will need tools which are better at tracking the workforce, assigning shifts and dealing with requests for time-off. Using software which features a built-in payroll system is essential to run massive payroll tasks to make sure all hours worked are paid for.
- Businesses who want to keep their best employees will want to make sure they develop their workforce. Some software solutions look at talent management by appraising staff performance whilst other solutions will work by gathering feedback from peers. There are also other employee training tools which can really help with making employee productivity better.