What is Online Construction Project Management software?
Also known as cloud construction software, online construction software allows to consolidate communications between contractors and project managers. Accountability is further enforced, which enables managers to take appropriate actions as soon as the problems happen. Unlike on-premise systems, cloud based software will be hosted completely by the vendor.
There are different trends you need to understand when evaluating what cost Online Construction Project Management software to use:
Increased demand for LEED tracking
The LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) certification demands constant and industrious tracking during the process of construction, as well as before and after. More systems are offering LEED tracking applications which helps firms to achieve that certification. Any firm building LEED projects will need to look at the LEED tracking capabilities of the software they are looking at purchasing.
Mobile apps for work on the go
Managers often need to connect to their systems from different locations as they spend a lot of time in the field. The demand for mobile apps that integrate with construction management software is only increasing following the rise of devices such as tablets and mobile phones. Web based applications will work best in this area, but it is important to look into platform support to make sure your product is supported across the required devices.
Here are the common features involved in Online Construction Project Management software:
A set of tools to allow project managers to manage staff and resources, as well as communications within a project or set of projects
Allows to lay out the costs of a project, including all factors such as materials and labour hours. Better bidding leads to projects being adopted faster.
Accounting for construction
Covers all financial aspects of a construction project and allows the right people to have access to this financial information; whether it is for managers, current customers or even future ones.
Managing customer relationships
Keeps a database of all customers along with their precise needs and requirements. Sets up meetings with reps across multiple sites; dealing with past, present and future customers.
Why Use Construction Project Management software
There are many benefits to purchasing and using Construction Project Management software:
- Participants in a project can work closely together even if they are spread across different locations. This results in better collaboration for actions such as initial bid through execution, markup plans and proposals; as well as bid estimates and project time-tracking.
- Contractors, workers and customers have better data accessibility. Between the bid proposals, the costs, the customer profiles and many other tasks; having an online solution allows different parties to have access to the right information wherever they are.
- Having a software solution that is hosted by the vendor will soften up costs, as opposed to paying for a full on-site solution and on-site technicians for that software. On the short term at least, this will lower costs of running such system.
Your use of Construction Project Management software will vary depending on your needs and the needs of your business:
- General contractors need strong system functionalities to allow for budgeting, bid solicitation, inventory and document management as well as the scheduling and deployment of subcontractors. Furthermore other aspects such as accountability must also be part of the system.
- Speciality contractors and subcontractors need to focus their effort towards a certain niche area of the market, allowing them to minimize liability as well as increasing crew performance to its fullest. Their software will need to handle scheduling as well as good document control
- Estimators need to share their research in order to reach the most accurate bidding process. Their need for software focuses more on cost and inventory, and less on project management and scheduling.
- Office managers and accountants mainly need solutions that include accounting as well as office management. They don’t require certain other features of construction management and as such they want to minimise costs by finding a software solution that only contains what they need. Features like inventory and construction oriented ledger control are a must.
- Customer relationship managers want a CRM that focuses on managing client relationships. Those programs will track new projects as well as potential ones, whilst sustaining existing relationships for better long-term growth of the business.